The top 10 factors you MUST consider when buying a retirement property
Post by: Eastlands Estate, 13 Nov 2018
Are you over 50 and considering where you’re going to hang your hat in the near future?
Choosing the home in which you will enjoy your retirement is one of the most important decisions you will have to make right now, at this point in your life.
There are a lot of considerations associated with buying retirement properties, so it’s natural to feel overwhelmed. We’ve narrowed them down to the top 10 factors to consider when choosing your forever home:
- On-site facilities: There is more to retirement villages than pretty homes and gardens. Today’s over 50s are active, and need access to facilities that prioritise health, wellness and physical activity.
- Available medical care: You might not need any specialised medical care now, but what about when you’re older? Forward thinking retirement estates provide for your care needs as you age, all on one property.
- Security features: Nowhere is security more important than in South Africa. However, simple electric fences or CCTV cameras are not enough. Retirement estates have unique security needs in that personal safety must also be considered in the event of a medical or other emergency.
- A sense of community: Bingo and games evenings are fun, but modern retirement developments emphasis community building in much more progressive ways, like through sporting, reading and special interest clubs.
- The pet policy: Research has proven that older people live more fulfilling, happier lives when they share them with pets like dogs and cats. If you’re an animal lover, don’t forget to check the pet policy!
- The setting: Yes, retirement villages are developments and so come with buildings and other infrastructure, but within that, green spaces are important. Look for villages that prioritise natural spaces and that they themselves are located away from the hustle and bustle of noisy urban centres.
- Affordability: When facing retirement, it becomes more important than ever to save money. Selling a family home to buy a cost-effective retirement property gives you an excellent opportunity to put away surplus funds. Look for value-for-money properties that don’t skimp on important factors, like quality construction and security.
- Monthly levies: Don’t just look at the house sales price, check the monthly levies too. Remember to factor in levy increases over the lifespan of your residency.
- Life rights or sectional title: Life rights properties are very common among the retirement community, but this means you never own the property, you’re effectively just renting the home. With sectional title properties, you own the home, allowing you to grow your investment and sell it later.
- Access: Don’t forget to check retirement villages’ proximity to major centres for shopping and other essential outings, as well as the logistics of accessing the villages themselves in terms of safe entry points and traffic congestion.
We’ve got you covered
Sound impossible to find a retirement destination that offers all that? Well it’s not! We’re delighted to say as one of South Africa’s leading retirement communities, Eastlands offers all this and so much more.
How exactly do we shape up? Take a look:
- Facilities: A world-class Lifestyle Centre with heated indoor pool, outdoor pool, lap pool, and gym and health studio.
- Medical care: An excellent Healthcare and Wellness Centre with 6 assisted living suites; a 16-bed frail care centre (24 hour care); personalised homecare services; and an on-site doctor, physiotherapist and pharmacist.
- Security: 2.4m High boundary wall with individual zoned electric fencing, extensive CCTV camera network, 24-hour active guarding and access control, panic alarm system in all homes.
- Community: An onsite restaurant and coffee lounge; 6 boutique hotel-styled rooms for overnighting family and friends; service bar and cigar lounge; a workshop; library and games room; hairdresser, nail bar and pedicure centre; and vegetable allotments all nurture a sense of community.
- Pet friendly: Our garden units are ideal for small dogs and cats.
- Setting: Peaceful country setting with extensive park-like indigenous gardens, wetlands and wilderness areas.
- Affordable: Our last remaining units start at just R1.995m for a 2-bed, 2-bath home with a single garage. That’s an upmarket home PLUS all these health, wellness, care and security facilities for less than R2 million!
- Levies: Our levies are currently among the most cost-effective sectional title levies in SA.
- Sectional title: Eastlands is a sectional title development (no life rights).
- Access: Excellent access to nearby shopping centres and easy access off Ninth Road into the Estate. Eastlands also has a shuttle service for residents.
Your forever home is waiting for you at Eastlands. How do we know? Because more than 300 over 50s just like you have already bought their retirement homes right here with us.
There are only 60 units left, and they’re being snapped up fast.
If you want to invest in your future, book a visit to Eastlands today.
Need to sell your current house first so think you’ll rather wait before visiting us?
Don’t! We have assembled a team of high-calibre estate agents that can not only help you sell your present home, but handle all the paperwork when you buy your new home at Eastlands too.
No mess, no fuss, just a seamless transition from your family home to your forever home.
Our lifestyle consultants are ready to take you around Eastlands Mature Lifestyle Estate right now and show you exactly what first-class retirement looks like.
To book your visit, click here.
We can’t wait to welcome you home!
- Keeping Busy At Eastlands During COVID-19
Post by: Eastlands Estate
- Why Buying a Property in a Retirement Estate is a Great Investment for Your Adult Children
Post by: Eastlands Estate
- 5 Reasons Why Seniors Should Keep on Learning
Post by: Eastlands Estate
- View All News